Enter Your ZIP Code

Why do you need to buy non-owners auto insurance?


It’s common knowledge that if you buy a car, you ought to get auto insurance for it, but to think that you also need to buy insurance for a car you don’t own but merely rent often is strange. Well, not really, if you consider that this insurance covers any damages caused due to an accident to a rented car or due to theft for which you will be held responsible. In such a scenario, if you have bought non-owners auto insurance, you won’t feel the pinch so much as the claims against you can be really high.

For this reason, it makes sense to invest in non-owners auto insurance in either a monthly or yearly plan. But how do you know which one is the best for you? The best thing for you to do is to get on to the Net and check out companies that offer non-owners auto insurance. You can get competitive quotes with all the necessary details of coverage offered by these companies.

Once you shortlist a few in terms of priority, ring up each one and speak to a representative. Depending on how they treat you, you will get a fair idea of how they handle queries and how efficient the company is. Take a call based on this and go ahead and buy your policy. This insurance coverage covers the driver of the car company from where you rent a car.

You can approach any car insurance provider for a non-owners auto insurance policy. Here, you get coverage for property damage in the course of an accident, and legal fees for causing such an accident. It also covers bodily injury coverage which includes doctor’s fees, hospital bills and any other related costs for the parties injured. This is also called liability insurance. However, you should bear in mind that this coverage does not include comprehensive damage or collision damage, towing reimbursement, rental reimbursement and compensation for the rented car.

From your search you will find that it is more advantageous for you to have non-owners auto insurance than buying rental insurance every time you rent a car. Usually, this kind of insurance costs about $300-$500 per year, depending on the person applying for it and his driving record and will cover bodily injuries, medical bills and under-insured or uninsured motorists. Prices also vary depending on the type of coverage,the drivers, and the location.