Kansas Auto Insurance Coverage


Several types of coverages are available in Kansas State but you should understand the details of at least the major coverages that would protect you. Further, certain coverages had been made compulsory by the state and you should purchase them if you wish to drive any vehicle in the state of Kansas.

The official website of Sandy Praeger, Kansas Insurance Commissioner, states that the following coverages are statutorily required.

According to Kansas auto law, every car insurance policy sold in Kansas should have the following minimum coverages:

The liability coverage should be $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury, and $10,000 per accident for property damage. Further, each policyholder should have minimum coverage of personal injury protection or PIP under no fault. The coverage should be $4,500 per person for medical expenses, $900 per month for a year for loss of income or disability, $25 per day for in-home services, $2,000 for funeral, cremation, or burial expenses, and $4,500 towards rehabilitation expense.

Moreover, the minimum uninsured or underinsured coverage should be $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.

She had also provided details about the 6 basic coverages that should be purchased by all vehicle drivers. A brief description of the six basic coverages as explained by her in her website is provided here.

Bodily injury liability would pay for the medical expenses of the other person involved in the accident, along with rehabilitation, funeral costs, and other costs covered by the auto insurance policy. This would protect you if you or any member of your family had been at fault in a car accident. It would also pay for settling lawsuits and related legal expenses.

Property damage liability would compensate when you or any of your family members damage property of another person in an accident. It would pay for repair, replacement, or the actual cash value of the property of the other owner. It would also pay for the legal expenses.

Personal Injury Protection or PIP or No-fault would pay for medical expenses, rehabilitation, lost wages, funeral expenses, and in-home assistance irrespective of who is at fault when you and your passengers get injured in an accident. Passengers having their own cars would be able to collect under the policy.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection would pay you or your co-passengers for the medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, and funeral costs. It would also pay for settling of lawsuits resulting from accidents that involve an uninsured, underinsured, or even a hit-and-run motorist. You and your family members would be covered as pedestrians or when you had been riding your bike.

Collision coverage would pay for the repair of your automobile when it is involved in a collision or a rollover.

Comprehensive coverage would pay for damage to your car resulting from natural causes such as windstorm, fire, theft, flooding, hail, etc.

Such valuable information from the website of Kansas Insurance Commissioner, available at http://www.ksinsurance.org/consumers/autoinfo.htm, should be heeded by all the drivers in the state. Follow the guidelines provided by Sandy Praeger and you would be completely protected when you drive any vehicle in Kansas State or anywhere else in the United States.