Washington Auto Insurance Coverage


Mandatory automobile insurance coverage varies from state to state. All automobiles in the state of Washington must have an insurance liability policy to protect themselves and others in case of an accident. If you do not purchase auto insurance, you are required to have a certificate of deposit or a liability bond equal to the levels of liability coverage required by the state of Washington.

The liability minimum requirements are $25,000 for injuries to any one person per accidents; $50,000 in injuries to any other people pre accident, and $10,000 to cover damages to someone else’s property.

If you do not carry insurance coverage for your vehicle, you must purchase a bond in the same amounts as the liability coverage or maintain a certificate of deposit in the amount of $60,000 with the Office of the State Treasurer.

You must have proof of insurance available if you are pulled over by a police officer. When you purchase auto insurance your company will give you an id card that provide your car insurance account number and expiration date. If you do not have proof of insurance available, you may have to pay a fine of up to $450 unless you can show proof in a timely manner.

If you do not live in Washington but travel there often, you may want to check your auto insurance overage to make sure that it meets the state’s minimum requirements.

Other areas of coverage are also available to protect your vehicle but are not mandatory. Washington law does not require you to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) but the insurance companies must offer it to you and you must decline this in writing.

PIP covers the auto owner, family members and non-family passengers who may be involved in an accident in your vehicle. This coverage includes medical expenses, funeral expenses and replacement of lost wages due to injuries from the accident.

If you want to protect your investment, you may want to purchase collision insurance. This coverage will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle in the event of an accident. Your vehicle may be considered totaled or unable to be replaced. If you still owe money on your vehicle you may want to purchase gap insurance. Gap insurance covers you in case your vehicle is totaled and the amount that the insurer will give you to replace your car is less than what you still owe on it.

Shop around for the best coverage for your car insurance needs. The rates may vary but go to a reputable insurer who will guide you on extra coverage you may wish to carry.