Arkansas Auto Insurance Coverage


When you register your vehicle in the state of Wyoming you must prove financial responsibility. Some states allow alternative methods but in the state of Arkansas you can only do this by purchasing automobile coverage from a carrier who is licensed to sell insurance in your state.
Before you get the title and registration for your vehicle you must have proof of insurance to show the clerk at the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).  The insurance commissioner of each state determines the type and level of insurance liability that each driver must carry. And while there are six major areas of coverage available for your auto insurance needs, the state dictates the minimum liability coverage that you must have to drive in the state.

Registered drivers in the state of Arkansas must carry $25,000 per person in bodily injury protection; $50,000 in bodily injury coverage per accident; and $25,000 for property damage for each accident. These amounts are the highest level that your insurance company will pay for each level of coverage.

The bodily injury coverage will take care of the injuries or expenses in case of death of a person that was involved in an accident that you were responsible for. Property damage coverage will pay for the repair and/or replacement of another person’s property that was damaged or destroyed as a result of an accident that you caused.
Although not mandatory, you should seriously consider including PIP or personal injury protection in your policy. It will cover the medical expenses for you, all relatives who live in your home, drivers who are authorized to drive your car, you and your family members if you are injured while in someone else’s car, and if you are a pedestrian hit by a vehicle.

There is additional coverage available that you may want to include on your policy to further protect yourself and your family. Ask your insurance agent about comprehensive and collision coverage for your vehicles. Sometimes it is not warranted to cover a vehicle if it is too old and not worth the coverage. In some cases it is required.

You may also want to include uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Uninsured coverage will protect you if you get hit by someone who does not have any insurance coverage at all. Underinsured motorist coverage will pick up if someone does not have enough coverage to pay for the expenses caused by an accident.

Arkansas has an Insurance Verification Program where insurance companies must report all information regarding the insurance of registered drivers in the state, including new policies, renewals and cancellations. The OMV will suspend your registration if it is determined that you let your insurance lapse and did not renew your policy.
You must carry proof of insurance in your vehicle at all times. If you are pulled over by a law enforcement officer you must provide proof of insurance. If you do not have the proper proof you could have your registration suspended and have to pay a fee to have it reinstated.