Here is a list of what resulted from a survey (of the least costly when it comes to insurances) conducted to a variety of car retailers:
- Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon
- GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan
- Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan
- Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan
- Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe
- Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV
- Saturn L300 1 4dr Sedan
- Volvo S40 4dr Sedan
- Saab 38600 Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon
- Buick Century Special Edition 4dr Sedan
Just put in mind that simple cars are less costly and expensive cars often result to expensive policies also. On the other hand, if you are eyeing an older vehicle or a second hand one, then these 3 factors should be your basis: price, safety and its reliability. Even second hand cars follow the same rule (less expensive, less premium). In addition to that, it can be noted that domestic vehicles are usually less expensive to insure. Same is true to 4 door cars, minivans and cars with 4 cylinder motors.
With regards to safety, it is known that the lighter the vehicle, the more accident prone it is. Light vehicles have the highest death rates on road accidents. Although Honda and Ford Focus are the most popular choices for teens, they may not always be the best as these are considered to be on the light vehicles category. Big and heavy cars are the smarter choice if it is safety that you want for your teenage son.
Here is a sample list of insurance premium for teenage drivers with no tickets for the past 6 months.
- Bodily Injury 10000/20000 — $880
- Property Damage 10000 — $580
- Personal Injury Protection 1000 — $634
- Comprehensive 500 — $387
- Collision 500 — $1,598
- Policy Total$4,079
- Bodily Injury 10000/20000 — $546
- Property Damage 10000 — $534
- Personal Injury Protection 1000 — $386
- Comprehensive 500 — $84
- Collision 500 — $1,016
- Policy Total — $2,566
As a parent, it is up to you to teach your son of road ethics and to choose what you think is an appropriate vehicle for his age. Be reminded that not all that comes cheap is always the best. Sometimes we really have to pay for the price to ensure the protection and safety of our loved ones.