Required and optional coverage in Pennsylvania


In the state of Pennsylvania, there are two types of coverage’s. One is the required or compulsory coverage and the other is the optional coverage. As the names indicate, it is required by law that every car driver must have the basic required insurance coverage in the state of Pennsylvania. Optional coverage will extend to those people who want an added coverage over and beyond their required basic coverage. 

Required or basic coverage 

Bodily injury liability coverage – this sort of coverage is required to pay out all the medical expenses of the other party when you are involved in an accident and it is proven to be your fault. The basic coverage required is $15000 for each person involved in the accident and $30000 for all the people involved in the said accident. 

Property damage liability- This sort of coverage will extend to all the property damage that one accrues in an accident. The basic limit for such coverage is $5000 in the state of Pennsylvania. But again, this is barely enough for even a bumper overhaul or any basic body work. Any engine damage and the only recourse that the other party would have will be to take legal action against you as an individual. 

Medical coverage – Such coverage is an extra in the state of Pennsylvania. The basic limit is again $5000 in the state. This will cover all the exigent medical expenses that one would incur after an accident. This will cover the medical expenses of you and your passengers even when you do not have a first party insurance policy.

Optional coverage 

Limited tort coverage – this will kick in when the other party takes legal action against you. If it is proven that you have to pay for damages, this coverage will do so. But it will not cover pain, suffering and mental anguish costs that the other lawyer might put on you. 

Full tort coverage – this will cover all the legal ramifications explained under limited tort. But in addition, it will also cover costs due to mental anguish and other psychological long term costs that might fall on your pocket. 

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage – in cases that you have just a third party insurance and the accident was not your fault you will not be able to claim anything from your insurance company. In such cases, if the other party does not have an insurance policy or is under insured, you can claim damages from your insurance company if you have this option. You do not need to waste time and money on costly lawyers and a time consuming legal machinery. 

Funeral coverage – this will pay you up to $2500 in case god forbid, you or one of your passengers dies in an accident. 

Income loss coverage – this will cover all losses that you face due to being incapacitated after and during an accident. It is obvious that you cannot work during such times and this coverage will ensure that you are paid whatever you would have earned if you were in a normal physical and mental state. 

Extraordinary medical coverage – such coverage will kick in when and if your medical costs go beyond a $100000 after an accident. You can claim anywhere up to a million dollars to pay for your long term and short term medical costs.