Missouri Auto Insurance Basics


It is against the law in most states to drive your car without car insurance. Every state dictates the required amount of insurance coverage that must be carried by drivers of their state. And each state sets the limits of this coverage which determines the highest amount your insurance company will pay out. The mandatory coverage is only a part of the automobile insurance that is meant to protect you, your family and other drivers on the road

While you are only required to carry liability insurance, there are six area of coverage available to protect you and your vehicle. The minimum level of coverage that is required by each state varies. In general, these areas are: Bodily injury liability, Property damage liability, Personal Injury Protection, Collision, Comprehensive, Uninsured/Underinsured motorist’s coverage.

The Insurance Commissioner in the State of Missouri requires drivers to carry bodily injury coverage and property damage. The amounts that are set by the state are the minimum levels required by law but you may want to purchase higher levels.

Bodily injury liability covers any damages that you may have caused another person if an accident were to occur. Property damage liability covers the repair and/or replacement of any property that was destroyed as a result of an accident.

If you still owe money on your current vehicle, or you are financing a new vehicle, you must carry the proper insurance required by the lender to protect their investment. You will probably be required to carry collision and comprehensive coverage. If you do not provide adequate or proof of insurance, the lender will take matters into their own hands and find insurance coverage for you and bill you for it in addition to your regular car payment.

You may want to include collision insurance on your policy as it covers any damage to your car that was the result of hitting another vehicle, a tree, a telephone pole, etc.  Comprehensive coverage protects the value and replacement of your car in the event that it is damaged as a result of anything other than an accident, for example if your car is stolen, someone breaks into it or there it suffers flood damage.

There are two other areas of coverage and don’t be confused between the two, each one covers different things. Uninsured motorist coverage pays for any damages that are a result of an uninsured motorist or a hit and run driver. Under-insured motorist coverage comes into play if the other driver, who is at fault, does not have enough insurance to cover you.

If you are caught driving and cannot provide proof of insurance in Missouri, you will receive one of the following: four points on your driving record, supervised monitoring, or your license will be suspended. If you do not have insurance, your license will automatically be suspended and you will be fined.