Making a decision as to which policy is best suited for your needs is always going to be extremely confusing. The problem is to balance it out between paying too much for your auto insurance policy and paying too less and ending up with inadequate coverage. Hence it can be tricky.
The best way to navigate your way through this murky subject is to put in as much time as you can to make a good decision.
- The first step to take is to start looking for quotes on the internet. You will need a couple of hours to get through to a sufficient number of auto insurance companies. It will take you around fifteen minutes to fill out the forms for each quote that you seek. And also there will be a few companies that will not immediately give you a quote. They will take some time to get back to you through email or phone. But all the same, once you have a couple of quotes in hand it gives you an idea as to what you might have to spend.
- The next step is to start working the phones. Many of the auto insurance companies will not give you a quote when you fill out their online forms. You will need to call them or they will call you to sort out your queries. This might be a little frustrating considering that most of the time the agent on the line will try to hard sell without giving you real facts. But do realize that for every hour that you put in now, you will end up saving hundreds of dollars every year. Great savings can be accrued over the years if a little work is put in at the beginning itself.
- Once you have done the above two steps, you should have a rough idea as to what your insurance policy is going to cost you. You will also be able to tell as to which firm is cheaper and better value for money. But your work is yet to be done. The next step is to set up an appointment with the insurance agent. This is a very important step where you will for the first time interact on a human level with your insurance company. This is the one chance that you will get to convey everything about yourself and also negotiate a deal.
- When you call an insurance company to set up an appointment, they will usually offer to come down to your place or office. This is a good thing as you get to be in your comfort zone, but the drawback is that you will not be able to see the office and interact with other members of the team if there is some sort of doubt that cannot be clarified by the agent.
- The catch phrase is to negotiate. The more you ask for, the more you will get. You have to make sure that you convince the agent that you are a very low risk driver. And what’s more, you have to be convinced about that yourself. If the agent sees that you are capable of caving in, he will not budge. You have to furnish sufficient proof of your driving record and also seal the deal by having a positive attitude.