Auto insurance companies are inevitably the most important party during car accidents. They need to be informed immediately for purposes of claims. To make sure that you get the car accident insurance claims, here are the things that you need to do and not do during accidents.
What To Do
- Read and understand your car accident insurance policies once in a while. It pays to get updated of what is in your policy so that you would know the coverage to claim in case of accidents.
- Immediately contact your provider on the onset of the accident. They should be the first person to call to unless you need immediate medical attention, in which case, you may need someone to do the task of calling your insurance agent.
- During accidents, take as many details as possible. Get pictures, witnesses and police data since these will be used to support the claims.
- It is also important that you take note of the insurance provider of the parties involved in the accident.
- Be honest and transparent about the actual incident to insurance investigators. This will keep them from doubting and perceiving the claims as fraudulent.
- Save all receipts and bills for the expenses you incurred. This includes repairs for the damages or medical bills related to the accident.
- Review the various policies you have so you can validate which among them can be claimed during the unforeseen event. It is possible that you have many policies on hand where you can get claims.
What Not To Do
- Do not let the time limit of filing claims run out. As much as possible, settle all the things you need to settle within the time frame set by you insurance company.
- Do not just accept the insurance investigator’s write-up about the incident without verifying from your own investigation. It might be that the investigator’s report will deny you of your possible claim.
- Do not admit liability for the incident but instead, just state the facts about what happened. It is up to the investigators to conclude if you are indeed liable or not.
- Do not sign any document for waiver or release for your car accident insurance. You may need to refer to your policy about it or contact an attorney first if the waivers are valid or not.
- Do not just accept what your provider tells you as the final estimate or settlement of the car accident insurance. They may be paying below what is actually due you so it pays to clarify and verify or make your own computation about the claims.